Sunday, May 23, 2010

knitting


A few months ago I (Rachel) borrowed some knitting needles and decided that I was going to teach myself how to knit. I've crocheted for a several years and I wanted to try something new!
After knitting random trapezoids and a lopsided bag that took me WAY longer than it should have...I was ready to quit! UNTIL Gail Dooley came back from furlough (a four month assignment to America) and saved my knitting future. Apparently, she had learned to knit while she was back in the states and brought back, not only her knowledge, but an amazing stash of knitting supplies! She taught me how to make a hat and let me borrow all her stuff and now I've been knitting like CRAZY (just ask Jordan...I'm insane!) So far I've made 9 hats, 2 slippers (not a pair of slippers, two different slippers...I used scrap yarn and now can't make a matching slipper for either), and a mitten. I'm currently working on another hat and my first sock! It's fabulous!! :)
Some questions you may be asking yourself:

You live about a mile away from the equator and about two miles away from the sun...why are you making stocking hats?
-Three reasons...they are super fast and easy to make! For some strange reason, Papua New Guineans where stocking hats?? I guess it does get a little chilly in the morning?? AND I know other people who live in a land of ice and snow for 4 months out of the year...what better gift than a hat custom made for them!?!

Where do you get yarn?
- Yarn (or rope as it's called here) is sold EVERYWHERE! Every woman I know uses yarn to make things called bilums, which is basically a purse or bag. They use all different types of colors and patterns! Unfortunately, it's a very thin, cheap, acrylic yarn. When it's used to making a bilum they twist two strands of it together to make it stronger. BUT I've adapted my knitting to make it work...using two strands of it at a time as well.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures of my projects!! I used my students as my models. :) Oh, and this guy in the picture...his name in Pastor Dan. He works in maintenance with Jordan. He came over for lunch I gave him a choice out of 4 hats and he chose this one...I think he liked the pompom on top...go figure?

1 comment:

  1. I think your hats are awesome, and the slippers are even more so! Where do I place my order??? :)

    ReplyDelete