Friday, October 28, 2011

Rachel vs The Tortillas



I am 100% committed to conquering the tortilla while I’m here in PNG. Last time we were in PNG I attempted making tortillas once and failed miserably!! BUT this time I’m determined to be triumphant. I’ve already had round one with the floury little boogers!! (huh…didn’t know floury was actually a word??)

It started out well…I got a recipe from a family who have been making tortillas here in PNG for 25 years! Then, it went downhill from there. My dough was SO sticky…which I found out later is not how it’s supposed to be. I was able, eventually, to roll a few into submission. However, I found that I have low rolling stamina and soon my tortillas were more like pitas in thickness. I then heated a pan to medium to low heat…which I found out later was supposed to be much hotter. I threw my leathery discs onto the pan and watched them bubble. Yep…that’s right…my tortillas bubbled. I could have made balloon animals with these puppies!! Once they turned light brown I removed my puffy, crunchy little creations. While they tasted kinda like a tortilla they were way too brittle to actually wrap around any type of taco substance. Since then, I’ve sought council on my tortilla method and let me assure you…there WILL be a round two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment